Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Grunt Run, Lakeland, NY



This was a fabulous experience. I chose to run this short 5K while 5 of my friends and members of the Lake Effect Run Club ran in the 10K.

I just wasn't ready to go six miles following the Leaf Peeper 1/2 Marathon in Cortland 2 weeks prior. However, running the 5K enabled me to let loose and go for a fast time. I went out quick not realizing the steady, gradual incline the race maintained for at least the first 1.5-2miles. I made the commitment and stuck to my guns. I finished the race with a personal best, 24:08:10.

After completeing the race, I waited for my friends to start the 10K. Once they were off and running, I discovered the best part, a homey set up of drinks and food. The Town of Geddes set up a cafeteria with homemade sandwiches, I preferred the PBJ. Soda, coffee, chocolate and white milk flowed a plenty. It was a great time listening to the times of the 5K finishers.

229 runners ran in the 5K and the competition was fast. Awards were divided among many age groups and the times of the top three winners for each group made me look slow. I learned a lot and gained a strong appreciation for the variety of runners, especially those who were victorious posting times as low as 16 minutes and change. Wow, I can't wait to run it next year.

No comments: