Saturday, March 7, 2015

Gear List

As spring nears and the temps, at times this winter, begin to rise above freezing the thrill of completing my first overnight bike camping trip fills my veins.  Each month my Surly LHT gets outfitted a little bit more.  On a daily basis I ponder about the remaining items I may require for a successful trip.

I need to think about purchasing the correct shoes.  I will require spd clipless mountain bike shoes so I can get on and off the bike and be comfortable.  I need small toiletry items to stay neat and tidy.  I am a clean freak; I wonder often if being a little dirty may scare me off from accomplishing my goal.

I know I need a few more items to be sure I am all set for the Erie Canal this April.  My trip will take me from home to Rome.  I will spend one night camping if the weather is right and return the following morning.

So, I have started investigating checklists to be sure I have what I need, and if not, start planning on acquiring those items for the best possible price.  I BOLDED the items I still need.  So peruse the list below and visit their website.  You may catch the touring bug too.

See you on the road.

This list below is from the web site www.bikeovernights.org.  This is a website I like visiting to learn more about Cyclo Camping or bike touring.  I love the phrase cyclo camping.  I think its cool.

The Basics for Camping:
  • Sleeping bag
  • Camp pad
  • Small tent, bivy sack, or camp hammock
  • Food (or a nearby dining establishment)
  • Personal items: toiletries, etc
Deluxe Gear List:
Perhaps you’re not a minimalist. Just remember: everything you bring adds weight to your bike. If you have much hill climbing or a lot of mileage planned, you may want to reconsider how much you take along.
Deluxe Camping Gear List:
  • Route map(s)
  • Sleeping bag
  • Camp pad or air mattress
  • Small tent, bivy sack, or camp hammock
  • Camp pillow or stuff sack
  • Cooking equipment (small stove, cookware, utensils) including food
  • Camp chair
  • Headlamp or flashlight
  • Pocketknife
  • Waterproof matches
Deluxe Personal Gear List:
  • Toiletries
  • Two sets of bike clothes
  • Two sets of off-the-bike clothes
  • Raingear
  • Cold weather gear
  • Shoes/sandals
  • Bathing suit
  • Towel
Other possibilities:
  • Books
  • Camera
  • Playing cards
  • Sports equipment
  • Fishing gear
  • Radio/iPod/MP3 player
  • And more!

No comments: