Thursday, November 27, 2014

A Rainy and Windy Ride to get Some Fenders

Well, Monday has arrived.  It was an exciting day.  The air was warm and the sky was blue.  A few clouds floated in the sky; some white, and some not so white. The only question was, how long would it last?  Would the rain hold off?  Could the sun shine another hour?  Could I get home in time to climb aboard my Surly LHT to make a dash for The Bikery?  I needed to get those Cascadia fenders installed. The installation of the fenders is the next step of preparation for a finished touring bicycle.

I made it home and things started to become ominous.  The air grew just a bit cooler, and the sky darkened.  I quickly changed my cloths and climbed aboard my LHT and started for The Bikery.  Just as I hit route 31, the wind blew strong.  My bike was pushed back and forth while the head wind held me back.  I pedaled on regardless.  I wanted t get the fenders.  I rode up the hill passed the Budweiser Brewery and approached the car crowded village of Baldwinsville.  I was a bit scarred.  The wet roads, traffic, and overly cautious drivers always make me nervous.  As soon as i was able, I turned off of route 31 and headed for the high school.  This slight deviation would give me an opportunity to add distance to my ride and get me to the main intersection with less cars buzzing by.  It ended up being a nice detour because I could listen to the Baldwinsville Marching Band practice for the Macy's Thanksgiving parade.  As a matter of fact, as I approached the band  riding down the school driveway, I was forced into a patch of muddy, wet grass.  The first adversity for the Surly to overcome; the surly did an awesome job cutting through the muck and returning me to pavement.

Well as I reached the intersection, the sky opened up and poured rain from Syracuse St all the way to The Bikery.  I was soaked.  Even my wind breaker soaked through.  I was cold from head to toe.  Yet, I made my destination.  Without fenders, the ride was wet and dirty.  The back of my jacket was mud splattered.  The chain and cranks were mud splattered.  My cycling shoes were a mess.

I made it and gave the Surly LHT to Mark, who proceeded to install the fenders.It took about 20 or 30 minutes.  Once installed, I climbed back aboard the bike and headed home, the long way since the rain stopped and the sun was out.

I cruised down Canton Street and turned just beyond the supermarket toward the Riverside Cemetery and the Erie Canal Lock.  I followed the canal around St. Mary's and turned back onto Syracuse Street which I followed back to Smokey Hollow and home.  It was a nice ride, almost 18 miles.  Now the surly has fenders and looks more like a touring bike.  Soon, I will order he rear rack and panniers.  I can't wait.

Til then, I will see you on the road.
Post a Comment